The Cylindrical Grinder is responsible for setting up, operating, and maintaining Cylindrical Grinding Machines in order to grind external surfaces. Follows instructions and drawings during grinding procedure.
Reports To: Grind Department Supervisor
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Carry out production, inspection, and machine operation duties
- Set up machinery and ensure all materials are readily available
- Effectively monitor production equipment
- Assist the shop technicians and materials clerk as necessary
- Perform appropriate duties as assigned by management
- Maintain a safe and clean work space
- Follow established safety rules and regulations
- Ability and experience using inspection measurement tools such as micrometers and calipers to interpret drawing requirements
- Determine grinding speeds, feed rates, holding fixtures, and grinding wheels to be used.
- Basic math skills
- Attention to detail
- Critical Evaluation and thinking
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a medium to heavy manufacturing environment. Frequent exposure to manufacturing elements such as noise, temperatures, dust, odors and fumes.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. 20/20 vision with or without corrective lenses.
- Must be able to safely utilize and wear PPE, such as dust mask, steel toe footwear, safety glasses.
- Chemical exposure is chromic acid, Chromium VI, caustic and corrosive chemicals.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 40 hours per week.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- High school graduate. 1-year grinding experience preferred.